Monday, April 5, 2010

Birth of Sydnee

























March 22, 2010 Sydnee's due date
Today I went to work a little discouraged that miss Sydnee had not decided to arrive. I came home took my 40 wk pics sent them to family at 6:40 ish and sat down to a taco dinner. I was doing the dishes around 7:30pm when I felt an abnormal amt of fluid hit my undies (gross I know). Nervousness officially set in. I decided to jump into the shower to freshen up. I got done with my shower and Matt of course asked why I had just taken a shower. I explained that I peed my pants. He asked did your water break? I said I have no idea (in a high pitched uncertain voice). So at this point he decided to take a shower himself just in case it was time and I called triage to ask there point of view of what I should do. Triage: You need to come it and get checked out. Called mom and dad and started the conversation with "don't get your hopes up but..." regardless what I said to mom it didn't matter her and dad were on there way. In Triage 8:30pm I was hooked up to baby monitors for her heart rate and to watch my contractions. The nurse came in and did the exam to test whether my water had broken or if it was just leaking. Not 2 sec into the exam I felt the official "gush" Oh boy!!! Water was now indeed broken all the way. I looked at the nurse and said "I'm not going home am I" She laughed and said no, your definitely getting admitted. So now the labor begins :)

March 23, 2010 Sydnee Is Born
Pitocin started flowing at 3:30am. I was still 3cm dilated and 70% effaced at this point and since labor wasn't progressing on its own the doctors felt starting labor was important since my water had already broken. Pitocin starts at 1 and goes up to 20 in the dosage amts given to increase or decrease labor. Every hr I watched the level go from 1..2..4..6..8..10 8:30am. Oh boy the intensity of contractions was definitely going up.
Epidural is your friend!!!!! I waited about 30 mins to long to ask for the epidural at this time my contractions were every 2 mins lasting for 30 sec each at around 10am. Now I don't want to sound like a wienie but this was not a fun time at all!!! I started getting nauseous and sweating and did not tolerate the pain very well!!! Its like extreme menstrual cramps not a gas feeling just a crazy uncontrollable pain. getting the Epidural 11am was super easy I didn't even feel it. Now sitting still hunched over through 4 contractions while waiting for them to get the epidural in is not an easy task. I tell you when that epidural set in it was such an instant relief. At this point since I hadn't slept at all, at the advice of my doctor we kicked everyone out of the room and let me take a nap. Right after epidural 5cm dilated.
The nurse came in around 2pm to check me once again and said "you are ready to go" 10 cm dilated 100% effaced finally! She changed my position so I was sitting more upright just to help Sydnee drop a bit more and to make the pushing a bit easier. She left and said we would start pushing in about an hr. Excitement!

3pm Pushing super easy! I could still feel when a contraction was starting just because of pressure so I knew exactly when to push. It was a really cool experience because only Matt, the nurse and myself were in the room right until Sydnee was almost here then my doctor and a couple other nurses came in for the arrival :)

3:45pm Sydnee is HERE!!! yeah!

Matt did not want to witness the birth in the manor of which he did (he saw it all!) However, he was an amazing support for me and I truly believe this experience brings out a love between two people and creates a stronger bond. Now we are a family :)

3 comments:

  1. great story amy! thanks for postin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Amy (and Matt)! I love reading birth stories since I'm just a few short months away from having one myself (ok, 5 months, but still...). Sydnee is lovely and you look awesome, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading stories like this

    ReplyDelete